August 19, 2008

Sneezing and Wheezing

Paul and I are both sick. I never like to admit I'm sick, so I always attribute it to allergies. Then, when it doesn't go away in a day or two, it occurs to me that maybe it's something more. We're both kind of pitiful.

It's probably a combination of so many things: A 15-hour plane trip, bad air, too much air conditioning, too many people in one place, not enough sleep .... the list goes on. So Paul will say to me: Is it warm in here or am I feverish? (Actually, it's warm in here -- the a/c is either too high or too low). And I will say, are you sneezing or is it just me? (Actually, it's both of us)

There is a pharmacy in the MPC and I went to get some Tylenol and Tylenol Cold the other day. The Chinese pharmacist carefully told me the dosage for the Tylenol Cold, because all the instructions are in Chinese. I don't know if it's the same stuff we take at home or not. I know in France, some medicine tended to be stronger (and thus better).

All you smug people (and you know who you are) are wondering why I didn't bring any with me. But -- aha! -- I did. The thing is, Paul and I are not together 24/7 and it's a dead certainty that the one with the medicine won't need it as much as the one without.

I brought so many precautionary things that we haven't, thankfully, had to use: Immodium, mosquito repellent, itch sticks, band-aids, sleeping pills. And some that we have: Tylenol, Claritin, Benadryl and tissues.

Last night I needed the Benadryl and Paul had it. Today he left me the Tylenol Cold and I hope he doesn't need it. And the cough drops I brought were in the MPC when I was coughing up a lung last night.

Clearly, the trick is to have a little some of everything with both of us at all times. Easier said, of course, than done.

And we weren't supposed to get sick until we got back.

No comments: