March 28, 2009

What a Way to Make a Living

I'm still not totally sold on this whole 9-to-5 business. (Even though for me, it's 8 to 5) For so many years I had irregular hours (even when I worked "days" it wasn't until 11) and that's a hard habit to break.

The worst thing isn't having to get up early -- I'm adjusting to that. The thing I dislike most is having to go to bed early. In fact, having to go to bed at a specific time. Being in bed by 11 (and 10:30 is more accurate) is a ridiculous concept to me. And it's not that I'm not tired -- I absolutely am -- but it's the idea of a forced bedtime.

Because I'm one of those people who does better with more sleep than less, I try to aim for 8 hours, minimum. And because I'm one of those people whose cat owns them, I don't always get a good 8 hours. Sidney hasn't adjust well to my new schedule. He likes going to bed early, but then wants to eat at 1, and it's hard to wake up just 2 or 3 hours after I've gone to sleep. (Well, not hard to wake up so much as hard on me). Then I get another wake up call from him at 4:30 or 5. That part I'm used to -- I've always gotten up to feed him at some point in the morning. But twice? That's just too much. Luckily for me, Paul stays up later and often is awake to feed him the first time.

But then that puts me on a different schedule from Paul. The whole thing is rather disconcerting and disruptive to my sense of timing.

On the bright side, I have found that I am incredibly productive in the morning. I attribute that to the fact that it's the beginning of the day, and not morning -- and if I started work at 3, I'd still be incredibly productive the next four hours.

Maybe next I'll whine about how it's impossible to get anything done when you work regular hours. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

Sky Guy said...

So, just the other day, I'm wondering how you're doin' in the new job when I realize I haven't read your blog in awhile...and there's the answer. Read minds much?

lynne Jordan said...

I bow to you and the waking early, early to bed...I can't even say it! It is 8:51AM in Chicago and I haven't gone to bed yet. My cat is sleeping peacefully by my side being that her plans to disturb my sleep at 3AM were foiled...

lynne said...

I'm still awake...