August 5, 2008

Bubble Girl


It's funny. I can see how a journalist would come to the Olympics and not really see anything. You have to make an effort.

So far -- and I realize we just got here -- it's a bubble world. Various people with credentials doing their things. In the media press center (MPC) there is a shop and a bank and a gym and work stations. You take a bus to the venues and a bus to the hotel and aside from the freeway, there is not a whole lot of indication that you're in China. In the sense that you could be anywhere, at any Olympics. So I'm going to try to make a concerted effort to get out and about, although it's definitely daunting.

First Chinese experience: Dumplings for breakfast!! The sign said fried bumplings, but I knew what they meant. I mean, potstickers, come on! That's like offering me pizza rolls for breakfast. Where do I sign up?

No comments: